Less events returning to BCA

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
keithLGA
Site Admin

Less events returning to BCA

Post by keithLGA » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:06 am

For anyone without a subscription...

^^ there's 3 images there, click the arrow to go to the additional ones.

UncleBenny

Re: Less events returning to BCA

Post by UncleBenny » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:16 am

Have made my opinions known elsewhere but I'll repeat it again here: The Pegulas and PSE do not care about Rochester outside of getting money from here to Buffalo. They constantly pay the city lip service saying they "want to be involved" but outside of owning the Amerks have done NOTHING here. If they wanted to be involved downtown, they could easily undertake a similar "Harborcenter" type development somewhere around the arena, plenty of other stuff is being redeveloped downtown, yet they haven't done anything. They've owned the Amerks almost 10 years now, if they wanted to get involved here they could have done it. I feel like some kind of conspiracy theorist, but at end of the day this just feels like an attempt to force people to go to the same or similar events in Buffalo, for higher ticket prices and with the added chance that people stay at the Harborcenter which is conveniently owned by the Pegulas. Why would they split entertainment dollars between the two cities?

I wonder how attendance for stuff like Disney on Ice is in Buffalo? But assuming that they don't sell out, it's pretty clear to me what the end game is here. Buffalo can't fully support the Sabres? Market them to Rochester. Can't support the Bills? Get season ticket holders from Rochester/Southern Ontario. Can't fill your arena for one off stuff like Disney on Ice? Eliminate competition and make Rochester come to you.

I was not a fan of SMG but was also very skeptical of PSE coming in here, and now they are doing exactly what I expected. If they have nothing invested in Rochester, what is their motivation to keep booking events here?

If there is any silver lining to this, it might be that we see an uptick in hockey attendance next year because people will have literally nothing else to do entertainment-wise in Rochester now that PSE is forcing everything else out of the arena.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:09 pm

It proves once again the PSE and especially Terry and Kimmy are idiots and spoiled brats that run their Empire the way Hilter ran tan the 3rd Reich. It's there way or no way even if it's wrong. I don't care because I'm am not a Bills or Sabres fan but unfortunately it effects the Amerks and Rochester Community. They are turning the BCA into a complete mess just like everything they touch, Very sad.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:09 am

To all who said Pegulas never cared about Rochester....I tip my cap. What he has done in the past couple of weeks is nearly criminal....and his 'reasons' are completely bogus...particularly the Witness conventions. He is systematically removing all the family entertainment and events that have been here for years. How much is the Union involved? And naturally the esteemed Mayor is silent.

Shameful. What a total disappointment Mr 'If I want to make money I'll drill another well' is. Can't wait to see what he does next.When Jeff Calkins was in charge, things were sane. This is a complete cluster. Hard to even feel good about the Bills anymore. And I never felt good about the Sabres. I feel less now.

See--I go away for 10 days and the city turns to $hit. :cry:

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:00 am

The city is saying they're ok with this because PSE took the burden of the arena off their hands. PSE is likely justifying this to the city saying hey we're fiscally responsible. When in doubt justify everything with security concerns!

We have a renewed sense of a successful hockey team on the ice because that's the job of Botts, Sexton, and Greeley. Everything else seems to be quotas and numbers - not actually improving an entertainment venue.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:23 am

I don't really understand blaming "the city". This is what everyone wanted Rochester to do. The Pegulas saved Buffalo, let them come save Rochester. The city was crucified for being "too hard to work with" previously when negotiating the BCA lease for the Amerks, so now the Pegulas have free reign and it's the city's fault that they aren't booking anything? Sorry, can't get behind that one.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:40 am

I'm not blaming the city but I think the city should be asking questions but we know they won't. This falls squarely on PSE and how they're using it as a venue. Opinions out there vary. I think BCA could and should be used to attract people downtown. Some see it only as a sports venue for the Amerks and Knighthawks. I shouldn't have been but was surprised to hear people say oh just drive to Buffalo for Disney on Ice.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:56 am

This one is on Pegula...and I supposed Lovely for forcing out SMG (as unpopular as they may have been....they never stooped this low) He is making it sound like all the stuff he is making events pay greatly inflated costs was never being done before. Thats total crap. This is way to 1) strongarm all existing events to pay way more than they need to; and 2) 'fill' the BCA with Pegula Sports. Maybe 3) get people here to go to buffalo.

In short,.,,it stinks real bad.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:49 pm

Water cooler stuff the past few weeks: Pegula's are taking quite a beating here in town....and rightly so. More and more folks now believe he is just trying to get everyone here to go there. They claim they will fill the empty spots at BCA, but I'm not so sure. As these events learn about what has gone on here recently, I'm betting they may be a bit reluctant to sign on and get fleeced. Pegula's goal is probably to have all his sports stuff at the BCA and everything else in buffalo. Will be interesting to see if he moves the Bills out of Fisher when the contract expires...next year I believe.
Anyway, the word on the streets that I travel is Pegula is fast becoming public enemy #1 around here.

RWB

Post by RWB » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:49 pm

I would be fine with this provided that PSE actually intended to invest their own money into the arena to make it a state of the art venue for hockey or other sports. But they won’t.

The Pegulas are everything that’s wrong with corporate America today. Never-ending greed. They are cut throat business people who will squeeze every penny out of everyone they can to line their own pockets. They’re terrible people.