D&C Editor Responds

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Re: D&C Editor Responds

Post by insagt1 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:43 pm

Actually for me it is all about the analysis and commentary of the game thats missing...everywhere...regarding the Amerks and Wings. All you get online is a regurgitation of the game, which any number of outlets readily give you. I don't need the D&C for box scores. I miss the stuff that Geo Beahon, Hans Tanner, Bob Matthews, kevin O, Jim M, and Scott Pitoniak used to give us. You can't find that anywhere regularly. kevin will write occasionally in Splinters but not enough for my liking.You're right about the Bills....you are inundated with garbage about them on a minute by minute basis.
On this site..we get pretty much what I am looking for, and I'm grateful. We get to talk about the games in a critical way..not a sanitized, generic way.
We have a decent group of guys who love the Amerks and enjoy bantering back and forth...agree or disagree.

D&C has gone in another direction and they aren't turning back. Their days are numbered anyway as a newspaper.

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:22 pm

Dubblenikle wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:48 pm
Sal was commenting to some guy that people pay for Netflix and Hulu but won't pay for a D&C subscription. Papers are dying. They are trying to charge for what others are providing free. I can go to wham or 1280 or any of the local TV stations and get the same story for free. I won't pay for the D&C I won't pay for the BN as Harrington wants and I won't pay for the Athletic. I think the lesson these people are learning is that he casual fan vastly outnumbers the die hards. I responded to Sal that the Netflix thing was a false equivalency. He not asking me to pay for the entertainment. He's asking me to subscribe to his analysis of the entertainment I watched. I subscribed to HBO because I wanted to watch Game of Thrones. I'm not going to now pay for an additional service to hear someone's opinion on the game of thrones. Turn on One Bills Live and they will choke you to death with everything down to the laundry schedule for the jock straps each week. Carl Faulk will beat the dead horse to a powder on the radio for free the 5 days after the game. The decision makes at the paper must have been at Kodak in the 80's. Its comical.
Excellent analogy! I agree with everything you wrote.

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:25 pm

Dubblenikle wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:48 pm
Sal was commenting to some guy that people pay for Netflix and Hulu but won't pay for a D&C subscription. Papers are dying. They are trying to charge for what others are providing free. I can go to wham or 1280 or any of the local TV stations and get the same story for free. I won't pay for the D&C I won't pay for the BN as Harrington wants and I won't pay for the Athletic. I think the lesson these people are learning is that he casual fan vastly outnumbers the die hards. I responded to Sal that the Netflix thing was a false equivalency. He not asking me to pay for the entertainment. He's asking me to subscribe to his analysis of the entertainment I watched. I subscribed to HBO because I wanted to watch Game of Thrones. I'm not going to now pay for an additional service to hear someone's opinion on the game of thrones. Turn on One Bills Live and they will choke you to death with everything down to the laundry schedule for the jock straps each week. Carl Faulk will beat the dead horse to a powder on the radio for free the 5 days after the game. The decision makes at the paper must have been at Kodak in the 80's. Its comical.
Excellent analogy! I agree with everything you wrote. I am friends with Kevin O. He lives 5 minutes from me in Greece, I actually said the same thing to me about 3 or 4 yrs ago..why should I pay to read the paper online when I can get the same info for free on other news outlets or websites. He actually saw my point. :lol: