What are your thoughts about the makeup of this team?

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
redd4972

What are your thoughts about the makeup of this team?

Post by redd4972 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:27 pm

D will be pretty good, especially if Jokiharju starts in Rochester.

Who knows with goalie. UPL is such a wild card and I don't think Hammond is any better or worse then Wedgeworth.

Forwards......it looks like we are going to have one two pure offensive player (Thompson or Oloffson and Dea)* and a dozen or so middling offensive, two way/character guys. (Smith, Asplund, Elie, Porter, Cornell, Pekar, Lazar). Maybe we'll get reinforcements after arbitration, when the sabres trade an excess Dman or two, but right now I don't think this team is as good as it was the last couple of years.

*I'm pretty sure Rustolainen goes back to Europe this year.

oldtimehockey

Re: What are your thoughts about the makeup of this team?

Post by oldtimehockey » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:55 pm

Need another top 6 forward. Oloffson will not be here. Hammond will be an upgrade over Wedgewood who was hot and cold. If Ristolainen is traded, maybe we get someone thrown in for us. Playoff team, that's as much as I can tell right now.

Dubblenikle

Post by Dubblenikle » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:02 pm

Elie signed to a 2 way deal today. So that's helpful on grit, not a ton on scoring, but he contributes. So long as he shows up with a good attitude, he will help.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:09 am

Strong on defense, should be better in net with Hammond and UPL. Scoring is going to be the big question. A healthy Oglevie all season could be a boost. A healthy Leier and happy Elie should be guaranteed 20+ goals. Redmond and Gilmour should each be capable of 20+. Can Dea provide additional scoring? Can they get more out of Lazar? We always want more but on paper they should be able to be a contender.

It'll be interesting to see how Asplund develops without the cushion of Olofsson and O'Regan.

CJ Smith will be interesting as well. Right now there doesn't seem to be a place for him in Buffalo. From getting to know him I think that'll give him a chip on his shoulder to be even better.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:56 am

I can sadly see CJ Smith going the "Varone" route if he ends up in Rochester, performs well early in the season but is passed by on callups. We'll see how it plays out though. I hope he is given a chance to earn a spot in Buffalo if he doesn't make it out of camp.

RWB

Post by RWB » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:33 am

Excellent defense. If the Amerks have Redmond, Gilmour, Jokiharju, Pilut, Borgen and Bryson on defense, they’ll have easily the best defense in the league, and probably by a lot. But Jokiharju probably plays more in Buffalo than here and once Pilut is healthy and gets back into game shape he might be up as well. Even so, Redmond, Gilmour, Borgen, Bryson, MacWilliam and Fitzgerald is excellent.

The forwards are a question. I have an issue with the depth. There’s really no quality depth at all beyond the top 9 forwards. But if Thompson and Smith play a majority of the year here, they’ll score plenty. I still say they need another too 6 forward, though.

Goaltending will be much better. UPL is unquestionably better than Wilcox by a large margin. Ridding ourselves of Wilcox alone is a huge boost. Hammond is on Wedgewood’s level, maybe slightly better.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:26 am

I hope Hammond IS better than Wedge....because for me, Wedge was disappointing. He had his moments, but overall too inconsistent and often disappeared in the games that really mattered, Our goaltending, despite what Taylor will tell you, was not good enough last year....and not good enough by a lot IMO. I guess UPL's return is the big thing. If he comes back healthy, he will probably be the defacto #1.

I seriously wonder if the Sabres plan on keeping Ullmark around much longer? What they are offering him speaks volumes of how they view him now.

Bourgeois

Post by Bourgeois » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:31 pm

I think on paper we’re a contender - as good if not better than last year. I say that because Center1 and goaltending is improved.

The biggest concern for me is whether the coaching staff will be able to handle adversity better in a playoff series. This includes being prepared to make changes when necessary both in personnel and game plan. This has been an F the previous 2 season. And a hard F-

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:33 pm

Thats true about the playoffs. When your 'a' team is failing in a short series, you MUST make adjustments. Taylor made none. Best of 5 series are unforgiving...no time for sentimentality.