Slow Summer Here

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
UncleBenny

Re: Slow Summer Here

Post by UncleBenny » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:25 am

insagt1 wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:03 pm
I am not a Sabres fan and I have lost more and more respect for Pegula's, who clearly don't give a crap about Rochester.
I'm not really a Sabres fan either, but going into this season you have to at least hope they figure it out and are in a playoff spot come March/April. Would they be willing to give borderline prospects NHL "tryouts" at the end of the season if they're fighting for their own playoff lives? I have to think no. And you could argue that if the Sabres made the playoffs, we wouldn't get any/many players back for the AHL playoffs, but when has that really helped us in the past couple years anyway? The Sabres being in the basement of the NHL standings unfortunately negatively impacts the Amerks as well, at least from my point of view.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:19 pm

Good points Benny. Seems like potential no-win for us doesn;t it. If the Sabres are no-good they experiment with our guys. If they are playoff bound , we don't get players back, or worse, are susceptible to the ever present injuries. Over the past decade and longer, nothing seems to help.

I think what it will come down to for us is to have a powerhouse team with solid veteran contributions (guys the Sabres probably woudn't want) AND exceptional goaltending. We also really need to play a ton better at home, again considering a large number of home dates will not draw flies to the BCA.If Amerks draw one crowd of over 4,000 on Wednesday that doesn't include half the tickets being given away for free, I'll be shocked. maybe a REAL good team, that wins at home, will get us some decent crowds mid-week after January.

redd4972

Post by redd4972 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:40 pm

August is the worse month of the year for hockey, by a mile. It feels like last year was busier for Amerks fans. This year...I don't know, is Marner and all the RFA's holding everything up?

As for the team,
I'm not sold on our forward talent this year. Our D could be really good, especially if Boterill is dumb and keeps Scandella/Bogosian and Ristolainen around to clog up the works. (I'm kind of hoping someone gets flipped for forward prospect. Maybe UPLu lands like a asteroid and we have elite goaltending, with Hammond as a 1B that keeps everyone fresh.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:15 pm

UPL may be the key to our success (or not) this season. We need a #1 goalie that, once healthy, can play the bulk of the games and excel in doing so.
We didn't have a #1 last year and it clearly showed. Once we got to post season, Taylor was afraid to shake anything up, so losing game 3 was inevitable. somehow...our playoff failures have to stop before no one will care about this team anymore. Heaven help us if Sabres get to postseason...then Amerks won't have anyone following them because the media will cover Buffalo like a blanket.

Blue n Gold Forever

Post by Blue n Gold Forever » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:17 pm

Maybe this will liven things up.....

Rochester Americans have signed John Wiitala to a 1 year contract. Wiitala, 24, had 73 points in 148 career games at Ohio State.

.....or not

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:45 pm

You never really know when you get a diamond in the rough. Witala could be the next Perreault...or the next Alex Nylander....

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:03 pm

Blue n Gold Forever wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:17 pm
Maybe this will liven things up.....

Rochester Americans have signed John Wiitala to a 1 year contract. Wiitala, 24, had 73 points in 148 career games at Ohio State.

.....or not
Might liven things up in Cincy.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:20 am

good point. Thats probably where he will land in 2019-20...at least to start.