Old time Amerks Fans Mourn the passing of 'Seaweed'

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Old time Amerks Fans Mourn the passing of 'Seaweed'

Post by insagt1 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:49 pm

Jim Pettie, the very entertaining goalie on and off the ice has passed at age 65. This news totally escaped me and apparently everyone else here too.
He was very popular, very friendly and a great teammate, as acknowledged by those who played with him back then,

oldtimehockey

Re: Old time Amerks Fans Mourn the passing of 'Seaweed'

Post by oldtimehockey » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:03 am

Watched him. great character on the ice. Not the best goalie but entertaining.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:45 am

Is he in the Amerks HOF? I don't think so. A character. Loved watching him had a unique style. The Leafs Mike Palmateer reminded me of Seaweed.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:38 pm

Steve--don't think he's in. he wasn't as skilled as many Amerk goalies, but he certainly was a character while he was here. Sadly, those types of players in the AHL are long gone. they stop by for a short time; make a small (if any) impact on team and community and they are gone. Its nice that some actually do get involved in community affairs, but since Amerks no longer matter in the media, many don't ever know about any of this.

Example was during the baseball season, I was very critical of Jake Reed...only because he was frankly a lousy pitcher for us...very lousy in fact. what I didn't know was how involved he was in a lot of stuff going on in our community. Unless you were personally involved, how would you know? Our paper has made it CRYSTAL CLEAR that they are in love with high school, Buffalo and Syracuse sports because thats 'what the readers crave'. Apparently nobody cares to read anything about Amerks or Wings, so goes their research. You can say the same about our TV stations too.

This new level of local sports interest clearly has left many of 'dinosaurs' in the dust. We no longer matter at all and thats just the way it is. The D&C sports page is nothing more than a typical sports page on any of the old Wolfe papers. I admit I rarely even read D&C sports pages anymore. What baseball news is still there? Wire stories about the Mets and Yankees. We don't even get news about the Twins, our parent club. Again, they and the Wings are totally irrelevant.

Oh well.