Gord Dineen assumes head coaching duties

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
keithLGA
Site Admin

Gord Dineen assumes head coaching duties

Post by keithLGA » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:16 am

UncleBenny

Re: Gord Dineen assumes head coaching duties

Post by UncleBenny » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:37 am

Kind of feels like they could have brought Dineen or someone else up instead of taking Taylor, especially for a temporary thing. Why rip the Amerks head coach away days before the season starts? Want to believe this isn't a big deal and shouldn't affect our season, but it just sucks to start things off this way especially with how things in this organization seem to go every year.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:08 am

If it was like the old days where the assistants were meaningless and the head coach was the ultimate dictator maybe but that's not the case anymore. These team has a core and foundation, it's not like a brand new coach taken away the first week without any of that.

Bourgeois

Post by Bourgeois » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:06 pm

Dineen has more head coaching experience than Taylor. Non issue for me.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:31 pm

other than the fact that I don't care for the way the Sabres do most things...I agree with Eric on this one. I don't think we lose anything by having Dineen behind the bench. While he is not a bombastic, loud, rah rah guy, he has a ton of experience and has great respect among his peers. Who knows...he may be 'the man' for longer than just a few weeks?

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:26 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:31 pm
While he is not a bombastic, loud, rah rah guy, he has a ton of experience and has great respect among his peers. Who knows...he may be 'the man' for longer than just a few weeks?
Ted,

That is not how you coach anymore....those days of coaching are long gone period. Also I am pretty sure Tails will be gone for about 2 months.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:31 pm

don't entirely agree...there still are some prickly coaches. Todays players are babied way too much and they tie the coach's hands to do their job in many cases. Torts still barks. Julien is vocal. There are others. The majority as you say aren't that way...but the colorful coaches have not totally disappeared and I'm thankful for that.

The Amerk coach whose style I couldn't stand was McCutcheon. Perhaps the most unpopular coach in recent years was Gentle Ben.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:08 pm

Players are not babied but they also aren't treated like pieces of $hi* like the "old days." Coaches and captains get loud when they have to but it's all done behind closed doors. Everyone has talked about this on the team. Those who blow up at someone on the bench are way in the past.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:52 am

Thats not what I mean. It was not that common to see a coach 'back then'...really blow up at a player on the bench. Yes it happened, but not a lot. But what I did see is a lot of animation by the coach during the game. And then if a player needed 'counseling', it WAS done behind closed doors. Some coaches today don't even do that much anymore.
If a player screws up, since this is his profession, it isn't being treated like a piece of **** if he is called out for it. It is discipline....a word that has escaped the vocabulary...everywhere. If you say boo to someone for anything...you are sued, decried in social media, called a racist, or any other assorted crap.
My daughter is a teacher and she complains all the time about how tied her hands are to do anything that might upset the little darlings. When I was a kid, if I was sent to the principles office for discipline...I got it again when I got home from my father. Today if that happens, the parents get a lawyer and try to sue the school.

There is nothing wrong with using a bit of 'old time hockey'...not excessive..but still important. I maintain todays players are babied too much. My opinion.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:02 am

Many here remember these coaches: Toe Blake, Punch Imlach, Billy Reay; Emile Francis, Harry Sinden, Fred Glover, and yeah the king of them all Eddie Shore....there are others of course from that 'era'....but they were all successful in their own right and they all had the respect of their players...even when they bitched and complained. And the hockey was good too. Somehow the players didn't end up scarred for life, if they were called out or benched.
(just how many Cups or playoff appearances have the Sabres enjoyed lately with the nice guy approach? )Not saying there is a direct correlation, but I know this...we had a couple of coaches here since our last Calder Cup, who constantly praised players and made excuses for every loss. It was disgusting. And it didn't accomplish a thing. There is a balance obviously...too much either way is not good.