The Wait is Over! It All Starts Again Tonite

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Re: The Wait is Over! It All Starts Again Tonite

Post by insagt1 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:53 pm

Thompson will be the first recall...probably sooner than later. Nice to win a home opener...and in OT against our rival...better.
Hammond looked sharp. Stopped a critical penalty shot. Our penalty kill was uneven...gave up two in the final seconds. But a great kill near the end of regulation. A crowd over 5,000 was a bit of a surprise given what things looked like a couple days ago.
Biggest complaint I heard (and saw) were the complete disorganization of the concessions. Unnecessary long waits..misleading menus. And overpriced beer.

Overall it was an entertaining game for an opener. Winning in OT is never a bad thing. Both teams had their chances. Game was sometimes chippy. Lots of penalties (not good) Thompson and Asplund played very well. Had fun. Certainly better than staying home and watching those damn Yankees dismantle the Twins....again. Very ugly game.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:06 am

redd4972 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:09 pm
Might as well go to a Sabres game instead
So pay for gas, tolls, parking, more expensive tickets (face value, not stub hub), same level of security at KeyBank Center, and more expensive concessions? Some people just aren't into the AHL and that's fine but a Sabres game isn't some mecca of hockey.

Whatever you choose.

Good Amerks game. Some bad moments, better good moments. It's only one game but I already see Hammond as an upgrade over goaltending the last two seasons.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:20 am

Ratitude

Post by Ratitude » Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:49 am

Good to see the Amerks get an opening night win, over Syracuse especially. Sounds like a decent crowd on hand to, was getting pretty worried about the diminished visibility of the Amerks last few years. Moved from Brighton to Albany back in 1999 when the Amerks were still pretty much a hot ticket. Last several years it seemed like things for the Amerks were starting to go the same way they were in Albany.

The AHL changed to a systems development priority and winning on the farm isn't the priority. Out of town ownership can really hurt a local AHL franchise. Perception and media interest is so critical. HS sports, emerging DI hockey and basketball in Albany took the media's interest, and there wasn't enough resources to cover minor league hockey in Albany so interest no longer wasnt there. I just dont see Rochester surviving in the AHL without that Buffalo or maybe even a Rangers affiliation so glad to see the local support holding and being able to co exist with RIT's program....Best of luck to the Amerks this season, cant wait to make a road trip or two to catch some games.

redd4972

Post by redd4972 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:59 pm

keithLGA wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 12:06 am
redd4972 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:09 pm
Might as well go to a Sabres game instead
So pay for gas, tolls, parking, more expensive tickets (face value, not stub hub), same level of security at KeyBank Center, and more expensive concessions? Some people just aren't into the AHL and that's fine but a Sabres game isn't some mecca of hockey.

Whatever you choose.

Good Amerks game. Some bad moments, better good moments. It's only one game but I already see Hammond as an upgrade over goaltending the last two seasons.
I'm actually closer to the Sabres then the Amerks.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:04 am

insagt1 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:53 pm
Thompson will be the first recall...probably sooner than later. Nice to win a home opener...and in OT against our rival...better.
Hammond looked sharp. Stopped a critical penalty shot. Our penalty kill was uneven...gave up two in the final seconds. But a great kill near the end of regulation. A crowd over 5,000 was a bit of a surprise given what things looked like a couple days ago.
Biggest complaint I heard (and saw) were the complete disorganization of the concessions. Unnecessary long waits..misleading menus. And overpriced beer.

Overall it was an entertaining game for an opener. Winning in OT is never a bad thing. Both teams had their chances. Game was sometimes chippy. Lots of penalties (not good) Thompson and Asplund played very well. Had fun. Certainly better than staying home and watching those damn Yankees dismantle the Twins....again. Very ugly game.
The concessions at the BCA are a joke. Very limited menu and very overpriced especially the beer. That's why the only think I buy is Pepsi or Tim's coffee. I went to one Wings game this year and even just going to one game I could see how much better the choices are at Frontier Field. Everything the PSE touches turns to $hi*!
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:22 am

The Rohrbach's prices didn't go up too much, it is now $10 for a 16 oz which isn't really that bad for craft beer I guess. None of the new food options are overly inspiring, at least they still have garbage plates which remain at $9, a steal for in arena food pricing. Like someone else mentioned, I hope they fix the font on the food menus at most of the stands, seems like something silly to complain about but it was actually making my head hurt trying to read those from a small distance back.

Super glad they finally put up those lane dividers for the in hallway food and beer options but I wish they would consider pushing them back slightly after the game is over. They definitely cut down on available space for people to work their way out of the building.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:21 pm

I'll never be happy until they bring back the beef on weck.

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:53 pm

Problem I have with the concessions is they don't have any healthy choices. So I will not be eating anything.
Last edited by hockey13 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:05 pm

hockey13 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:53 pm
Probably I have with the concessions is they don't have any healthy choices. So I will not be eating anything.
Not sure if you have tried it already, but Original Grain opened not too long ago at Tower 280. You could easily park near Broad and South Ave and walk over there to get food pre-game, and then walk back to the arena. Food is a little pricey there but it's at least fresh, I'm definitely adding it to my pre-game rotation this season on more reasonable weather nights when the couple block walk isn't bad.

On the topic of arena food, I still miss the wrap stand. It still might not have been completely healthy, but it was better than nothing and I didn't mind eating those on a regular basis before games.