Overall Successful 3 in 3 Weekend

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Overall Successful 3 in 3 Weekend

Post by insagt1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:45 am

Amerks first 3 road games this season came all at once....our 3 city journey in basically 2 1/2 days to Springlfield, Providence and Hartford.
Last year that trip started with a massive thud, as Springfield exploded for 8 2nd period goals to ultimately bury the AMerks 9-4. Both our goalies took a bad beating in that one. Licking our wounds it looked pretty promising the next night but as usual, Providence found a way to beat us, this time in OT 3-2. Looked pretty bleak for the weekend when we fell behind Hartford 4-1 on Sunday, but Amerks staged a great comeback in the 3rd period and eked out a 4-3 win. The game where they should have been the most tired, they really stepped forward to make it a 1-1-1 roadtrip.

Fast forward to this year. Our stop in Springfield was much different, with Amerks scoring a 3rd period goal to nip Springfield 2-1. On to Providence and the losing jinx continued. Bruins scored a last minute goal to edge out the AMerks 3-2..this is something the Bruins have done frequently to the Amerks in recent years. Once again an afternoon game in Hartford saw Amerks fall behind 2-0 into the 3rd period. Instead of just saying 'we're exhausted', they scored one midway and then tied it up with about 12 seconds to play. Following a scoreless OT, Tage Thompson scored the only shootout goal to win it, and give Amerks a winning roadtrip and a nice 3-1 start to the season.

So far, it appears as though Hammond may be the goalie we have been looking for. He has been excellent in his 3 starts allowing just 5 goals. Meanwhile Amerks offense has sputtered, as they have scored 2 goals in regulation in all 4 games. Normally, thats not enough to win, but with our strong 'd' and outstanding goaltending, we are getting by.

Other stuff: overall attendance in the AHL openers was very good. Yesterdays crowd of barely 2,000 is what Amerks will be getting used to on Wednesdays. I doubt a big crowd will be in house Friday as well.
Apparently Amerks could not (or would not) find anyone to do pre and post game show on radio this season. Admit it or not, I know many here do listen on the radio from time to time...for me especially in the car on the way home from games. Even tho the quality of the shows the last few years has been not up to par, this is yet another symptom of the total lack of any kind of marketing or support given to our team anymore. We are slowly being removed from the radar...and nobody (outside this site) seems to care.

The new 'crew' that Pegula's have hired to oversee the BCA are certainly doing a very shabby job. The cleanliness of the building is terrible; their attention of spills non-existent, and the concessions and their listings leave a lot to be desired. I am no longer a fan of the building, so perhaps my opinions are jaded...but yet another reason to think nobody really thinks the AMerks are relevant.

RWB

Re: Overall Successful 3 in 3 Weekend

Post by RWB » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:44 pm

Decent weekend, but you can’t give away a point with 1 minute to go. Hammond should’ve started that game.

Couple concerns. The offense has been very lackluster, like I figured. There is simply not enough skill on this team and when Thompson inevitably gets called up, it’ll be even more bleak. Second, Johansson has to go. He’s been bad his entire career but there is no reason he should be here over Houser.

insagt1

Re: Overall Successful 3 in 3 Weekend

Post by insagt1 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:23 pm

Well, Houser was called up. So is he exchanging places with Johansson?

I know many here now have AHLtv. Was disappointed in the coverage from Hartford. The camera was up so high it was very hard getting involved with the play. Following the puck was difficult. The gif's on twitter are basically unwatchable if you really want to see the goals. Do the folks producing the video even know that the puck is very small and the pace is fast. Need to be much closer to the play.

Jason, I agree you hate giving up at least one point with a minute to play...but you knew there was no way they were going to play Hammond all 3 games...so this one probably made sense for Hammond to sit out. But he sure is making a case to be the #1 There weren't too many low scoring games that we won last year. Might be different this season....by necessity!