Cleveland vs Amerks BCA 10/18

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: Cleveland vs Amerks BCA 10/18

Post by keithLGA » Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:59 am

UncleBenny wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:43 am
Where do you get numbers from, the box scores? I've always wished there was a relational database somewhere with just raw data you could query, I'm sure you could come up with some interesting stuff ridiculously quickly.
I've spent too much time with numbers and days of the week from the last 14 seasons. I shouldn't have even included the three seasons of the dual affiliation because those numbers are so flawed.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:06 am

Mark--you keep saying that but I have to agree with Lou...if that is how they 'market'....just look at the results. Its not working. Its a very small group that look at that stuff. The average Amerk fan does not...of course who IS the average Amerk fan anymore? who attends the games? I would say reasonably that the 'crowd' that uses the things you mention, aren't Amerks fans, attending games. If they were, you would be seeing the results with people in the stands.

What I am saying is that the Amerks are NOT on the radar in this town anymore....at least not to the extent that it reflects in the attendance. Somebody in that department needs to stop picking the low hanging fruit and get to work. Look at the Amerks website. Keith runs circles around them when it comes to content. The website is probably the last place you go to get any real content about the team. And not to beat the dead horse, but when they can't even find a host for the radio broadcasts (which people actually do listen to when they can't watch), you know the battle is being lost.

The Red Wings presence on twitter is a ton more than the Amerks, and the Wings actually DO market their team.

Its like the paper drooling all over the 'clicks' for high school sports. I wonder how many folks in this community DON'T care about them that much to the exclusion of other local sports teams? Yeah, they have their data....and yeah I believe everything politicians say too...and pigs actually do fly....maybe somewhere.

If one wants to know what is actually going on in Amerkville, LGA is really the ONLY place to go...and sadly how many average fans know about it?

Lets see how many turn out to see the boys play tonite. I wonder how many will be staying home to watch the Yankees on TV?

This has been the quietest start to a season I have ever experienced...and keep in mind, WE don't count in this discussion, because they already have us. Where has everyone else gone?

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:08 am

keithLGA wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:59 am
UncleBenny wrote:
Where do you get numbers from, the box scores? I've always wished there was a relational database somewhere with just raw data you could query, I'm sure you could come up with some interesting stuff ridiculously quickly.
I've spent too much time with numbers and days of the week from the last 14 seasons. I shouldn't have even included the three seasons of the dual affiliation because those numbers are so flawed.
Keith--if the media in Rochester spent just 1 /10th the time you spend on all things Amerks, we might be able to say they actually have a marketing plan. But you know they don't and this year they just seem to be floating around.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:12 pm

keithLGA wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:59 am
UncleBenny wrote:
Its OK Keith...those of us who watch the games use the 'eye test'. We can see the empty arena. Its sad when you can make out individual voices in the stands...even when they aren't yelling! The last 'electric' crowd I have experienced was the Gionta game. Some of the old energy returned to the building. There have been others that at least generated some honest to goodness hockey enthusiasm...but not to the level of that game. The fire hasn't gone out yet, but its smoldering and the fuel thats being put on it keep it going is wet. Something's gotta change.

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:35 pm

My whole point here is that it is not going to change....this is the way they want to do things in 2020. We can't do anything about it....so time to move on from duelling on it. It is out of are control.

RWB

Post by RWB » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:56 pm

It has nothing to do with what year we are in. All competent organizations advertise via social media but also in traditional ways. There are far too many organizations in the AHL, with similar or smaller market sizes, and with far less history in their community, that draw better than the Amerks. And the reason is simple - they do far more advertising and do way more in the community. The Amerks have fallen into irrelevancy locally not because of the D&C, but because the Amerks do a poor job of marketing. Plain and simple.

shedthemitts

Post by shedthemitts » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:07 pm

Slow news week, eh fellas?

Looking forward to the game tonight. Maybe Gallant will see the ice for the first time this season for CLE and make some noise for D. Smith or T. Randell to come calling.

Go 'Merks!

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:19 pm

no joke...it has been a slow news week. Slow news season too. And predictably a terrible crowd of just barely 3,000...announced. Were there that many in the building. We can point to 'low' crowds in October....but in my memory not THIS low, except in very recent years. the reason: no one knows we're around. Whatever 'marketing' the team is doing on whatever social media is out there...isn't working. Because its not enough.
Just saying 'thats the way it is' isn't going to get people into the building. It takes work and effort...and its not happening.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:29 pm

I was surprised to see it was only 3000. Felt like more than that or people were spread out.

The difference was special teams. They scored on a PP and we didn't. Comets won 8-2 over Charlotte. Saturday night could be interesting.

Here's the mess of a recap I put together...

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:54 pm

One of our worst games in the past 3 seasons. Amerks failed everywhere. Clearly we have a problem with offense. Hammond wasn't good tonite but neither were any of his teammates. What I don't want to hear is all the shots we got. Meaningless.
Ugly week for Amerks. No wins...not enough goals and Hammond kinda took a step backward. Utica and Toronto appear to be powerhouses. We will have to get moving to keep up.