Work To Do

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Work To Do

Post by insagt1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:46 am

Amerks let one get away at home on Friday and then got blown out on Saturday. Clearly this team is still not clicking on all cylinders. In fact, most the cylinders are stuck. The 3-2-1 record is probably better than how the team is actually playing.
When Dalton Smith has as many points as CJ Smith after 6 games, you know there is probably something really wrong with the offense. Amerks aren't scoring goals. And their power play is dreadful...non-existent to be exact. Several forwards have yet to get it in gear. And Zach Redmond has pretty much lost that magical goal scoring touch he had first half of last year. Since his major injury, he isn't the offensive threat he used to be. Maybe if we could get Gilmour to team up with him, it may help.

Hammond started hot but faded badly this weekend. He couldn't hold a 3rd period lead on Friday and then he got hammered on Saturday. Our penalty kill is mediocre. It may be easy to say...its early..don't expect things to go smoothly yet. Funny thing though is that its also early for Toronto and Utica and they aren't having any problems. Its all how you want to see things.

Amerks really need to get their scorers going. Taking a lot of shots, when most of them are harmless, is meaningless. So there is work to be done.
We take on Hershey Wednesday and thats a shame we have to play them so early AND on a Wednesday when no one will be at the BCA. Having said that though, the rivalry is long dead and buried. Most Amerk 'fans' today aren't aware of the long history between the two oldest members of the AHL. And the fact that we usually play them only a couple times a year doesn't help. And of course our crack marketing team does absolutely nothing to try and stir up any excitement between the two teams.

My feeling so far is the start of this season has lacked 'something'. Its like it really hasn't even happened. Maybe because we have only played two at home and the crowds were light? Maybe because nobody is scoring? Maybe because the local media + the lack of marketing ignores us? Maybe because we have no on air host for the games? Many here soundly criticized Erica Whyte...but at least she got involved. She and Donnie had a weekly 'show' on the website for example. She was very visible. This new gal is pretty invisible. Give her time I guess.

And with the Sabres off to a hot start, there is virtually no chance the Amerks will be on anyone's radar in Rochester. We merely get noticed when someone gets called up. We have a good hockey man behind our bench but he is very soft spoken and fairly non -communicative, and coupled with no radio or TV coverage outside of the actual game, how do the fans really get to know whats going on. You have to dig real deep into the website now to even get interviews.

Amerks are doing little to nothing to get the brand out to other than those handfuls of diehards who will dig deep to get information. WE may know how to access whatever little is there, but in the great scheme of things, WE don't count. Its preaching to the very small choir.

It has been a rough start, our average record not withstanding. Ever notice when a team is winning, the players always say they have the 'best fans in the world'? Well, we used to have them. But they are disappearing faster than the polar icecap. We need a winner before they are all gone forever. Pretty soon we will be 'celebrating' the 25th anniversary of our last Calder Cup.

Thats pretty sad. So come on Amerks, hitch 'em up and start playing! There still are a few of us who care.

RWB

Re: Work To Do

Post by RWB » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:54 am

Too early to be truly concerned, but the lack of skill and offense could’ve been seen a mile away. If they thought they had enough skill, that was a serious error in judgement.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:16 pm

Hitting the panic button on October 21? Nah.

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:29 pm

keithLGA wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:16 pm
The time to hit the panic button is October 3rd.

;)

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:12 pm

Or back in July or whenever it is they brought back a lot of 4th liners.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:17 pm

keithLGA wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:16 pm
These are just observations after a slow start...and when two of our nearest opponents are off to great starts, it puts our deficiencies...which by the way I believe WE ALL RECOGNIZED well before the season started..in the spotlight.

Plus--since nowhere else is there any critical writing or analysis about our team anymore....only pollyanna Buffalo is wonderful so we should be happy as pigs in slop...this is where we get to do more than just say...day after day after day....don't panic, its early.

Is this team built for a playoff run? Is it? Thats what is the most important thing for Amerks fans (all 20 of us or so it seems) Do we see it, or not? Its only 6 games, yes, but what are we lacking. Do we see a whole bunch of our sleeping forwards improving from last year? Is CJ Smith hurt, or pouting, or just not into the games yet? A guy with his talent needs to have more than 1 point...on a team that screams for some offense.

I really don't care how good Buffalo is doing. I care about how good we should be doing. Sabres will be upsetting our roster soon enough. Are we simply a practice squad of players or are we here to win? Winning starts on opening night

redd4972

Post by redd4972 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:45 am

Right now, it's Thompson, Asplund and 10 AHL lifers who can at most aspire to be a disposable NHL health scratch.

An optimist would say that this is a reload year and that reinforcements are coming next year. (Weissbeck Rustolainen, Pekar, Davison), a pessimist would point out that Botterill's aversion to CHL guys is going to shut the door on any chance Rochester has to be a contender.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:58 am

the more the Sabres succeed this year, the less likely the Amerks will get any attention at all...save being ready to have players bags packed and ready to get called up. Reality check...the Sabres 8 year playoff drought trumps the Amerks 23 year Calder Cup/ near 15 year winless playoff series drought.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:09 am

That seems a little overly pessimistic. The more the Sabres succeed, the less likely they'll be calling up random AHL guys for extended tryouts in the spring. The more they succeed, the more casual fans in Rochester might actually pay attention to hockey and show up at an Amerks game or two. The more they succeed, the higher the general "morale" in the organization might be. Fringe NHLers might want to sign with the organization for the opportunity to play for an NHL team that actually has a shot to go somewhere in the postseason, in the process lifting the Amerks roster. Etc.

I am not a Sabres fans but I can certainly see value in the Sabres not being an absolute dumpster fire year after year. Clearly the Sabres tanking hasn't done anything to help the Amerks in years past.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Those are all great points...from the glass half full perspective. No quarrel with them at all. But I'll play along....the better the Sabres are, the more injuries will play a role...and thats where the Amerks could really get hurt...especially late in the season. It has happened before..even to the extreme that Chris Taylor was called up and sat in the press box...as 'insurance' plus waiver issues if I remember right.
As the SAbres improve more and more Sabres fans will be staying home and watching them on TV on nights when Amerks play too.

Absolutely the past 8 years of Sabres post season absence has not helped the Amerks at all. Even in the years we did make the playoffs....well, no need to go back over that. Since we've gotten back with Buffalo, Amerks haven't accomplished a thing in post season. Hope that changes.

Will more fringe NHLer's want to come to this organization? Maybe so. Winning solves a lot of problems. I just worry given the recent 'climate' here, that as Buffalo succeeds, Amerks will be getting less and less attention from the media...because, as we know, minor league sports are not sexy...and they aren't high school.

At the end of the day, I really want you to be right. I am just a realist who is tired of Rochester not being able to brag about their team or their fans anymore.