Wednesday Home Games

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: Wednesday Home Games

Post by keithLGA » Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:01 pm

If the organization doesn't care if there's 2k or 8k than I really don't either. Just win games. I just know that Sundays are an awful day for games. Can often feel like more of a chore to get to and players aren't into them either.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:58 pm

Keith--REALLY? As a fan, a big fan, you don't care about the attendance? You don't mind going to games where the rink is mostly empty? I wouldn't have thought that from you! (I think your SAbres bias is showing!!!!)

As for Sunday being an 'awful' day...again, thats your personal opinion only, which is fine. Based on raw numbers I would have to argue that most Amerk fans think Wednesday is an awful day, more than Sunday.

But anyway, for fun..the last 2 years, when we had very good regular season teams here's what happened with 3 in 3's: Last year we had 5 of them We won the 3rd game every time. Our overall record was 9-4-2. Interestingly we lost the first game 4 of the 5 times. That would seem to contradict the conventional wisdom.
Two years ago we had 3 3 in 3's and we won the 3rd game twice and lost the other in a shootout. Overall record was 4-1-4. So, over the past two seasons the 3rd game yielded 15 of 16 possible points.

Were they all ugly, sloppy, boring wins? How about the 1st game losses? Were they the most exciting games of the year? Depends on how one views them, right? Last nights game was pretty boring actually...and it came after we were off since Saturday.

My point...the guys play to win. They will complain about anything...especially if they are losing. Not so much when they earn the 'W'. And over the past 2 years, the 3 in 3 produced a lot of wins, especially in the final games. Don't have to like it, but there it is. And to refresh our memories we were 15-10-1 on Fridays last year. Not particularly impressive since we play most of them at home. But they should have been totally ready for them according to the new protocol.

I looked back on a few of our very unsuccessful seasons and the pattern was pretty consistent. We didn't do as well in our 3 in 3's....but we also didn't do well overall. We weren't winning much anytime.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:07 pm

Bourgeois wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:14 pm
Let me give it a top of mind guess:

San Diego Gulls - New team and has done well
Hershey Bears - The class of the AHL/nothing else todo
Cleveland Monsters - Freebies for Cavs STH’ers
Ontario Reign - New Team and has done well
Grand Rapids Griffins - 2 recent cups & well run
My take:
San Diego...has always been a great hockey town. I attended Gulls games in the early 70's when I was stationed out there and the crowds were always large, loud, and enthusiastic. We all wondered why Oakland got the NHL team and not San Diego. So for me, having a 'new' team (to the AHL) is not a factor
Hershey--concur with you. (just a shame we used to compare with them)
Cleveland--I don't know how many freebies they give for Cavs STH'ers. I know they used to but I don't know if they need to do that anymore. Maybe you can check. When the Barons were in the AHL, they drew well enough
Ontario--concur with you
Grand Rapids---concur with you. Winning makes a huge difference. Being run well also huge. Right now the Amerks have neither. Sabres are mostly in it just for the Sabres, clearly. They throw us a bone. They don't care about attendance here. I really wonder if they care that much about winning, over development. Last two years have been problematic. Decent point totals but absymal post seasons..which means they haven't built the team for the long haul.
I trust you still believe that a long playoff run is the only acceptable thing. I sure feel that way.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:52 am

insagt1 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:58 pm
Keith--REALLY? As a fan, a big fan, you don't care about the attendance? You don't mind going to games where the rink is mostly empty? I wouldn't have thought that from you! (I think your SAbres bias is showing!!!!)
I don't like it but I've accepted it. I'm just burned out by the discussions. The org is making money off the 15 year lease deal which probably makes up for ticket sales. The only big marketed games are the for a cause ones whether it's military, first responders, cancer, something like that.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:34 pm

You are correct! Difference with me is I don't like it and I haven't accepted it. And thats probably because I have weathered so many seasons starting with 1960, where we saw low attendance finally start to increase as the team started to win Cups; and ultimately become pretty decent...enough to lead the league a few times (fewer teams I will submit). Then the disaster known as the 'dual' followed by a few years with Florida....which nearly killed ALL fan support here. When Sabres took over again, I was in the cheering section because I really thought the relationship would be good for both cities.

I was wrong. It is all about Buffalo. Whether its the 'new' NHL philosophy that has seeped into Buffalo's thinking, or something else (discussed here ad nauseum I agree) the Florida years coupled with no playoff runs and Sabres indifference on many (not all) our issues has made the recovery slow as a glacier. How often do we see Terry or Kim here? Count on one hand and eliminate a couple fingers. The team doesn't matter to them...only prospects who can help the Sabres when the time comes. Thats terrible leadership.

The discussions shouldn't burn anyone out. In fact they should stimulate more discussions. We can't just give in without letting somebody (even if its just us) know how wrong so much of this is.

You have a GREAT voice in all of this. You work your behind off to keep us informed. I am eternally grateful. We may not always agree on stuff (I often think you are TOO much of a Sabres apologist when it comes to our plight and you may find me too negative) but you are our voice in the wilderness...with no one else even close. Not having a radio host this year is unconscienable..people (even most of us) actually do listen to the broadcasts even when at the games...we tune in on the way to and on the way home. This neglect is just one more nail in the coffin of mis-marketing and indifference...and there is really no excuse for it,although they sure as hell will come up with several.

So I would ask you to not get burned out when it comes to things that affect US adversely. Keep fighting and barking and don't let the Sabres overtake you. They will be just fine. We, OTOH may not be.

schlag

Post by schlag » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:46 pm

there needs to be some winning. and I'm talking playoff series level winning. the stink of all of the bad years has yet to wear off. friends or co-workers who are casual fans continue to ask me if they are still bad. so that's the perception out there.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:52 pm

Couldn't agree more.

Bourgeois

Post by Bourgeois » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:38 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:34 am
I'm not sure that we were averaging 6.800 on Wednesdays, ever...for sustained stretches.
What I said was there were a couple of years in a row we averaged over 6,800 for the season. If we averaged over 6,800 on the season that means there were good crowds EVERY night - certainly very few even under 6k.. whether it was Wednesday or Sunday.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:40 am

When were you talking about the 6,800 averages? As Keith correctly pointed out in his study from 2005 on, those dual years that produced those numbers were years when tickets were given away and people did not come to the games.

In my fuzzy memory the only times we drew decent crowds on Wednesdays were in the years we were winning or competing for Cups and the crowds were good in March pretty much every night, but not before. Other than that, this team will never draw good crowds anymore mid-week, unless a similar situation occurs. Of course we'd love that.

While quality of play is subjective and in the eyes of the beholder, I don't think there is any correlation in the won loss column that indicates the team wins more games when playing Wednesdays vs the dreaded 3 in 3's. And that was really all I wanted to demonstrate. All the rest is just personal opinion.

Bourgeois

Post by Bourgeois » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:59 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:40 am
When were you talking about the 6,800 averages?
Late 80's/early. You talked about all the good crowds we had on Sundays in the hey days and I just wanted to point out that every crowd was great in the hey days. If you AVERAGE 6,800 in a 7,365 barn (WITH the stage) there is never a bad night.