Amerks visit Syracuse and Springfield This Weekend

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Amerks visit Syracuse and Springfield This Weekend

Post by insagt1 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:57 pm

AFter a very pedestrian 5-1 win over the Bears on Wednesday, where the Amerks scored their season high 5 goals, they take to the road on Saturday and Sunday. Is there reason for some optimism? I think so. While we didn't really steamroller over the Bears, I felt we were in control of the game from start to finish. What needs to improve quickly are the special teams. The PP is still very ugly and disorganized. They finally scored one, but then they also gave up a shorty, which spoiled what should have been a shutout for Johansson. They haven't found the combination yet, and Redmond is not the force he used to be. I think we all got spoiled last year when we enjoyed his first half offensive explosion.

But he needn't be a 20 goal scorer to be effective. Just a solid d-man. After Sunday's game in Springfield, Amerks don't play on Sunday again until January 19th....in Hershey. For those who still feel Wednesdays are better, they will certainly have their chance to validate that, as Amerks have 11 more Wednesday home games, while playing only 1 on Sunday (Feb 16th) I would expect everyone here who favors Wednesdays, to be present for all of them! :lol:
My little research over the past 2 years uncovered that playing 3 in 3 on the weekends did not adversely affect the team. No serious injuries happened and the team won all but one of the 3rd games (and the one loss was a shootout). And no one should be complaining about the 7 wins earned, when the team also did so poorly on Fridays, especially at home. I suspect the team looked a lot worse losing those Friday games when they were mostly rested, than they did winning the 3rd game in 3 nights. I personally like winning, a lot.

In November we play all but one of our 10 games on Fri-Sat. Its a very light month, to go along with the light month in October. We play 6 at home, 5 against our own division. Factor in the 4 road games and 9 of the 10 games are against division foes...so its an important month.

One has to figure that Utica and/or Toronto will eventually cool down, so we need to stay close. Syracuse will also be in the mix so it could be an interesting race this season. So far we already have wins against Syr and Spr..so I hope we double up!

keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: Amerks visit Syracuse and Springfield This Weekend

Post by keithLGA » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:38 am

Redmond..
2019 through six games: 1G+5A
2018 through six games: 4G+5A

The only big difference between Redmond last season and Redmond this season so far was a two goal game he had against Utica in the 6th game of the season. Yes, Redmond has felt like a step off since his injury last season but to say he isn't the force he used to be after 6 games is some strong words. Once we hit the 15 to 20 game mark we can start talking about individual players and where they're at.

We won't agree on the 3 in 3 discussion. Staying away from that. Again. lol

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:04 am

yeah--but is it because it is hard to refute the results???? I don't see anyone wanting to discuss the results of the past 2 years.

Redmond acutally stopped being a 'force' 2nd half last year. So for me its a carryover. I did say he doesn't have to score 20 goals to be effective. I DID say he isn't the offensive force he was 1st half. The 'eye' test. What we see now isn't what we saw then.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:05 pm

Pond hockey at its finest tonite. Two goalies who couldn't stop sand at the beach 'battle' it out and Amerks with a great come from behind win in OT 7-6.

The good news: Actually lots of it. We did score 2 PP goals, one of them very important as they were trailing 6-4 at the time. For the second time this year we tie a game with 13 seconds to play. We are starting to find our scoring touch. Thats 12 goals in 2 games. We were vastly outplayed in the OT, but our ONE good scoring chance went in the net, courtesy of Pilut's first goal of the year. Our coach made a very good decision pulling Hammond after the 6th goal. There was still time and getting him out of there gave Amerks a chance to get the two goals they needed to tie it up. Hammond suddenly looks like a goalie we don't need. (Hope that changes) Johansson came in and didn't allow a goal. Wedgewood shows us tonite why we didn't want him back. He had a few games like this for us last year. He was brutal, as was Hammond.

The bad news: none tonite really. We've already discussed Hammond. this was a last shot wins game and we got it. I'm glad Gentle Ben kept Wedge in there because you just knew we would get to him.

Amerks improve to 5-2-1.. 4 of their 8 games have gone to OT/SO so far. It should be a happy bunch that heads out to Springfield for a 5pm game tomorrow.

I'm sure we can find a lot of things that didn't go right tonite....but I'd rather just concentrate on the 'W'. As we always say, you get zero points for style in the AHL...and 2 points for a win...ugly, pretty...doesn't matter.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:50 pm

Amerks couldn't do much of anything with 50 shots tonite and their special teams once again let them down. Penalties in OT are usually deadly. The players on running on fumes and 4 on 3's are more dangerous than 5 on 4's in most cases.
Amerks had plenty of chances to win this one, even in OT but couldn't find the back of the net.

They earn 3 of 4 points on the road weekend, which is OK. Tonites game showed what a difference good goaltending makes. Is Johansson making a bid to send Hammond to Cincy when UPL comes back? for those keeping score at home, Springfields crowd looked like a typical Wednesday night at the BCA.

RWB

Post by RWB » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:56 pm

There is no doubt in my mind the Amerks are a bad team. This was a terrible loss of course, but they have two incredibly lucky wins from late goals that likely never should have happened. It’s going to be a long year. They are not good at all, far, far below last years team, and not even as good as 2 years ago. Unless UPL is some sort of rookie phenom, I don’t even see them making the playoffs.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:26 pm

Playoff chances and Championships are always decided in October.

RWB

Post by RWB » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:53 pm

keithLGA wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:26 pm
Playoff chances and Championships are always decided in October.
They’re decided over the summer, when Botterill miserably failed at improving the team.

It’s pretty clear to me that Toronto and Utica are on another level. They are far more talented teams, as is Syracuse. At best, the Amerks are the 4th best team in the division.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:40 am

Its true we have some major deficiencies and Utica and Toronto appear loaded. Watching Utica dismantle us was pretty discouraging...but hopefully its still early enough to make some adjustments. Our next game with the Comets this weekend should be interesting. Wonder who will be in goal?

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:20 am

They signed the same players in the off season. Please, someone tell me how the signing of Paetsch, Dalton Smith and Randell have helped this team. They could have signed a couple of decent non-vet forwards to help the offense. And to sign Paetsch again to just go to the library and read to kids is just mind numbing.