Special Teams Nightmare

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Special Teams Nightmare

Post by insagt1 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:00 am

Maybe one might dismiss the obvious when playing Providence. Bruins win for the 13th time in 15 games against the Amerks. ( 9 of last 10 in the past 5 seasons) Different years, different players....same result. (its the AHL version of Twins-Yankees)

But one really shouldn't dismiss the obvious because it is sinking the Amerks this year faster than the Titanic.
Special teams. Horrible. Inept. Inconceivably awful.

On another night when the BCA was practically empty (announced around 2,600...not that many there), Amerks managed to give up 3 power play goals; one shorthanded goal and fail on 6 of their own power plays.(one abbreviated) The 4 goals Providence scored were all as a result of special team failure and they were enough to win the game.

It was bad enough that for the first two periods the Amerks weren't even playing. Donnie commented that they were sluggish and that the Bruins had better legs. But when they finally did wake up in the 3rd period, they played stupid by McWilliams and Borgen taking simultaneous unnecessary penalties halfway thru, resulting in the back-breaking 4th goal. Two of our important d-men, off the ice during a PK. Nice way to blot out a comeback.

Porter would score with a little over 3 minutes left to make it 4-3, but Amerks generated nothing at all after that, even with the goalie pulled..getting no shots for the final 2 minutes.

The Bruins shorthander came 12 seconds into the Amerks PP. The GWG came 38 seconds into the 2-man advantage. Its hard to believe Amerks have scored only 5 PP goals on 51 tries this year, and only 1 at home. They have allowed 13 goals already on the PK. These are ugly numbers and so far there is little to think the situation is improving. Last nights loss was our first at home in regulation, but many more will follow if they continue to play like they have been playing.

It was also commented on that early in seasons, often the PP does struggle but the PK is generally much better. Not so this year, The guys can't be 'tired' already. The schedule has been enormously light, They actually played their best hockey in the 3in3 weekend...which many here I'm positive, don't want to hear :D . The miniscule crowds we will continue to see on Wednesdays certainly won't help 'energize' the players. The atmosphere in the building stinks.

I have taken some criticism for calling out Redmond this year. But I think its totally warranted. He hasn't been the same player since his major injury last season. So far this year, he has looked very 'off'. His shot, when he takes one, is no longer accurate or sharp. He gets stripped of the puck frequently and he just isn't the QB on the blueline anymore. Maybe its not fair to compare this year with last, because last was so good, but Redmond is not playing well and I know there are a few here who see that too.

Johansson played well enough but not enough to overcome our special teams deficiencies. I fear the Utica game Saturday, the way we are playing.

After 10 games, this is an ordinary team that could scramble for 4th place. Can they be better? Of course...but until the coaches figure out the special team dilemma, it won't happen. Don't even bother playing the 'its early yet' card. Good teams don't. Bad teams already have their excuse list prepared. Maybe we are somewhere in between?

Bluey

Re: Special Teams Nightmare

Post by Bluey » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:24 am

So much for Botts building a great team here. He has failed miserably (AGAIN). Maybe UPL is the part of answer. Will he be a Hasek or a Marcus Ketterer? I take offense to the offense on this team.

That was one of the most uninspired games I have ever seen. The guys didn't want to be there, they wanted to be home watching the World Series like most of the crowd was.

Did you see the collision (?) of the game? Barely a body check. This game has regressed into pansy (not the word I wanted to use), ice dancing.

After 43 years of season tickets, it's time to seriously consider what the hell I am doing there besides seeing my good friends.
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

amerks23

Re: Special Teams Nightmare

Post by amerks23 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:21 am

Guess I made a good decision by ushering Eastman Presents - Jazz at Lincoln Center with Wynton Marsalis last night. A great night of Jazz at Kodak Hall!
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.