Cleveland vs Amerks BCA 11/15

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Cleveland vs Amerks BCA 11/15

Post by insagt1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:04 am

The Monsters from Lake Erie roll into town tomorrow hoping to snap a 3 game losing streak. Amerks OTOH are hoping to avenge a disappointing home loss in a shootout to the Monsters a couple weeks back. That was a game the Amerks led in the 3rd period and let slip away late.

It has been an interesting season so far. Despite all the issues we know exist with the Amerks, the North Division is a tight horserace with no one team really taking the lead. Toronto and Utica got off to redhot starts, but have recently slipped back to the 'pack'. And Laval meanwhile has snuck up on everyone to lead the division, but only by a point. Amerks and Toronto have nearly identical records, with the Marlies having just one regulation loss fewer than Rochester.

If you wipe Providence from our record, Amerks would be 8-1-3! Their special teams have been a huge weakness so far. However over the past few games the PK has straightened out. The PP is still a big concern, but a PP goal early in the 3rd period last night (only their 2nd on home ice this year) broke the 3-3 tie and provided the team with the margin of victory. Baby steps. For all our offense issues, there are still only 4 teams who have scored more goals so far. I found that very surprising.

The injuries keep piling up, but the team has managed to earn the points. In all 3 OT/SO losses, Amerks lost leads in the 3rd period, thus giving away 3 big points. The goaltending has held its own...allowing 41 goals in 14 games for an average of around 2.90. No word yet on when UPL will join the team, and when he does, does Johansson head to Cincy to play regularly?

Crowds at the BCA have been small. Last night they drew over 3,000 for a Wednesday game, after 2 crowds of around 2,600-2,800. Last Friday they saw their biggest crowd to date with around 6,400. They have lost only once in regulation at home.

After Friday's game, they travel to Utica on Saturday night. the two teams so far have exchanged blowout wins. This is unusual because most the Amerks games this year have been decided by one goal. Optimistically, it would look good on the resume to end the week 10-3-3. We'll see.

bmb2jn

Re: Cleveland vs Amerks BCA 11/15

Post by bmb2jn » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:15 am

This team has its good and bad.

I’m pretty confident that we’re going to make the Playoffs. But can we make the adjustments to win in the Playoffs?
Last edited by bmb2jn on Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:51 pm

The division is a lot tighter so far...with a couple of 'new' teams in the mix. Laval is a surprise; Syracuse is hanging back just a bit; Cleveland is right there along with Toronto and Utica. I actually like it this way because it forces the Amerks to play hard every night.
I hope we make the playoffs...I think injuries will tell the tale.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:09 pm

Amerks with another one goal game, another OT game, another blown lead in the final minute...but another win just the same. thats 11 one goal games already and 7 OT games. They have put 4 in the W column and 3 in the L column.
A mildly decent crowd of just under 5,500 saw the Amerks once again cough up the lead late against Cleveland...but then they roared back and scored early in the OT to steal it back. With the win, we find this strange team on top of the division. We have kicked around 'character win' this week.

It certainly fits. Our lineup has more holes than Swiss cheese...yet they remain competitive. (it was a surprise to see Redmond back though)
We gave up another shorty tonite...the special teams still haven't clicked...but the final scores have looked pretty good lately.

Another tough road game tomorrow in Utica. I expect to see Hammond in nets. JJ played a couple of decent games so far this week.

( I couldn't watch the game tonite...both my computer and the ROKU feed kept freezing up to make it impossible to watch. )

adsfan

Post by adsfan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:59 am

Congrats to the #1 Rochester Americans!

Milwaukee knocked off Laval 5-2 last night. The Ads won 4-2 in the home opener against Laval. That team isn't that good, despite their record. Tonight, the Admirals play at Belleville.

Don't play Andrew Hammond in goal too much and you will be alright this season. Milwaukee scored 8 on him last year for the season high.

There was some talk that Hammond was coming to Milwaukee to be the back up goalie for this season. I was like OMG, try anybody else!

Nashville picked up Connor Ingram, who is rated as #14 in the AHL, just ahead of Johansson. Hammond is #33, and in the middle of a pack of rookies.

RWB

Post by RWB » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:15 pm

Hammond had a perfectly respectable season last year. Other than a couple games this year when he was clearly sick/hurt, he’s been pretty decent. I think those games he got lit up something was off with him. He’s better than Johansson.

adsfan

Post by adsfan » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:38 pm

Time will tell RWB. You obviously see them play in goal versus me evaluating the stat lines.

As a hockey fan, I would take the #15 goalie by GAA over the #33 goalie. Hammond is giving up 0.5 more goals per game.

The save% are 0.892 versus 0.911 for Johansson.

Hammond played for the Iowa Wild last season, a team that finished third of eight in a tight race with 87 points. Milwaukee was a goal starved team with only 217 versus Iowa's 242 goals on the season. I don't see Hammond being any better than Adam Wilcox was last season.

RWB

Post by RWB » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:23 pm

Hammond got lit up 2 games in a row when he was clearly hurt. Every other game he’s been pretty good. Johansson is not a good goalie. You’re going by small sample sizes. Johansson let in a terrible goal with a minute to go last night, cost the team a divisional point.

adsfan

Post by adsfan » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:03 am

I will have to remember to revisit this thread after substantially more than 21% of the games have been played. Thirty GP will be 40%.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:21 am

RWB wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:23 pm
Hammond got lit up 2 games in a row when he was clearly hurt. Every other game he’s been pretty good. Johansson is not a good goalie. You’re going by small sample sizes. Johansson let in a terrible goal with a minute to go last night, cost the team a divisional point.
This team is in first place with a depleted lineup. What more can you expect?
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.