Sabres: Play Him or Send Him Back Please

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Sabres: Play Him or Send Him Back Please

Post by insagt1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 am

So the Sabres call up our leading scorer. He plays right away and scores a goal...then he becomes a spare part. Unless he is legitimately injured in some way (which would not be disclosed), I wish the Sabres wouldn't call up one of our best players to just use him once in awhile. Do they have that many spare forwards? They aren't on a road trip. Help is only an hour away.

Amerks have their toughest week of the season coming up...4 games and 2 against Syracuse.We could sure use Smith, if he isn't going to play up there. Am I missing anything SAbres lovers? If I'm way off base, enlighten me. For better or worse, it appears as though Pilut has earned a regular spot on the 'd' and we won't be seeing him again until the playoffs perhaps. If Redmond is ready to play, that would really help us.

Sabres are only 2-2-1 on this homestand, but they are also only 2 points out of a playoff spot. Not exactly a terrible place to be. Right now that spot may have to be jumping the 4th place team in the Metro Division because they are many points behind the Atlantic pack of Tor, Mtl and Boston.
This season in the NHL has been one of great parity, outside of just a couple of teams. No one is going to catch Tampa and Anaheim has fallen apart. But just about everyone still has a shot. (Det, Fla and Ott are big longshots but are still hanging on)

UncleBenny

Re: Sabres: Play Him or Send Him Back Please

Post by UncleBenny » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:16 am

I am not completely up on the NHL playoff race but Sports Club Stats gives the Sabres an incredibly low chance of actually making the playoffs, 22% right now.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/East ... ffalo.html

Basically they need to go something like 15-8-4 down the road to have a realistic shot at making it, so every stretch where they just break .500 will put them further and further out of the picture. I think there is very little chance they make the playoffs this year, even though they look "close".

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:41 am

I'm wondering if Botterill has a trade in mind.

Otherwise I'm stump.

This season for the Sabres/Amerks has been a success THUS FAR, but Botterill needs to do something before it evaporates.

Syracuse lost 4-0 last night so we're still 1st in the division. But this is a real shaky 1st place.

I'm not expecting Playoffs for the Sabres. Meaningful games in April is a realistic goal for a team that was dead last last year. But they have not looked good since the 10 game win streak.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:53 am

I am real surprised how close they still are...despite playing at .500 or a bit less. It may have more to do with the group of Wash,Pitt, Col, Car knocking each other around, making that 4th place easier to supplant. Buffalo probably won't catch Bos, Mtl, or Tor...but its still possible.

I sure hope Sabres aren't looking to trade CJ. On another topic...I wonder how Bailey will do in Philly. His stock sure has risen since leaving this organization..which apparently he was delighted to do.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:00 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:53 am
I am real surprised how close they still are...despite playing at .500 or a bit less. It may have more to do with the group of Wash,Pitt, Col, Car knocking each other around, making that 4th place easier to supplant. Buffalo probably won't catch Bos, Mtl, or Tor...but its still possible.

I sure hope Sabres aren't looking to trade CJ. On another topic...I wonder how Bailey will do in Philly. His stock sure has risen since leaving this organization..which apparently he was delighted to do.
And we were delighted to see him go.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:40 pm

No one is kept around like that and sat in the press box as trade bait. Scouts and GM's know who is who.

CJ was called up as a need but the Sabres roster is all out of whack and Housley prefers vets vs trying new winning options.

For years, well, decades, the close affiliation was pitched as being a great thing. Suddenly the new thought process is that they don't want to yo-yo players back and forth. I suppose that's good for us but it's not good for them as they struggle to win more.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Its just nuts to take a young player full of promise...call him up and then sit him. Especially since Rochester and Buffalo are so close...its not like Utica and Vancouver, or even Syracuse and Tampa. Yo you be damned. If Sabres no longer 'need' him...send him back here to contribute and when you call him up...its with the idea of using him.

its stuff like this that make so many of us furious with the Sabres and unwilling to cut them slack anymore. Does anyone here have a clue as to what the heck they are doing anymore? Players and coaches 'mis-speaking'...lots of frustration in the locker room, if it can be gauged by the interviews.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:28 pm

insagt1 wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:46 am
So the Sabres call up our leading scorer. He plays right away and scores a goal...then he becomes a spare part. Unless he is legitimately injured in some way (which would not be disclosed), I wish the Sabres wouldn't call up one of our best players to just use him once in awhile. Do they have that many spare forwards? They aren't on a road trip. Help is only an hour away.

Amerks have their toughest week of the season coming up...4 games and 2 against Syracuse.We could sure use Smith, if he isn't going to play up there. Am I missing anything SAbres lovers? If I'm way off base, enlighten me. For better or worse, it appears as though Pilut has earned a regular spot on the 'd' and we won't be seeing him again until the playoffs perhaps. If Redmond is ready to play, that would really help us.

Sabres are only 2-2-1 on this homestand, but they are also only 2 points out of a playoff spot. Not exactly a terrible place to be. Right now that spot may have to be jumping the 4th place team in the Metro Division because they are many points behind the Atlantic pack of Tor, Mtl and Boston.
This season in the NHL has been one of great parity, outside of just a couple of teams. No one is going to catch Tampa and Anaheim has fallen apart. But just about everyone still has a shot. (Det, Fla and Ott are big longshots but are still hanging on)
People wonder why I detest the Buffalo Sabres! This is why! If you are going to call someone up that's one thing to replace an injured player, but when he is scratched and in the stands when he can help the Amerks that pisses me off like you don't know. Ridiculous!
Last edited by amerks23 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:31 pm

UncleBenny wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:16 am
I am not completely up on the NHL playoff race but Sports Club Stats gives the Sabres an incredibly low chance of actually making the playoffs, 22% right now.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL.html

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/East ... ffalo.html

Basically they need to go something like 15-8-4 down the road to have a realistic shot at making it, so every stretch where they just break .500 will put them further and further out of the picture. I think there is very little chance they make the playoffs this year, even though they look "close".
They are not making the playoffs. That 10 game winning streak was a fluke. they won most games by 1 goal or in OT. They are better but not a playoff team. Not even close.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:33 pm

bmb2jn wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:41 am
I'm wondering if Botterill has a trade in mind.

Otherwise I'm stump.

This season for the Sabres/Amerks has been a success THUS FAR, but Botterill needs to do something before it evaporates.

Syracuse lost 4-0 last night so we're still 1st in the division. But this is a real shaky 1st place.

I'm not expecting Playoffs for the Sabres. Meaningful games in April is a realistic goal for a team that was dead last last year. But they have not looked good since the 10 game win streak.
If JB makes a trade it probably will do one of 2 things. Either screw the Amerks or not help them.
I don't trust JB or the Sabres.