Amerks Regain 1st (sort of) With Shootout Win

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Amerks Regain 1st (sort of) With Shootout Win

Post by insagt1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:08 pm

I don't like shootouts anymore. But I liked them tonite. Taylor Leier with his 2nd shootout winner since joining the Amerks scored the only goal of the 6 round battle as the Amerks come up with a very much needed win. With this win, we move 1 point ahead of the Crunch...however Crunch still have 2 games in hand...so its kind of a misleading, but still welcome result.
Interesting that Syracuse has caught the Amerks in points a couple times this season but they have never surpassed us.

Give Wilcox a lot of credit tonite. He was a stone wall in the OT and the shootout. Amerks once again blew a 3rd period lead, but this time it didn't cost them a win.

What was good? The goalie for sure. The PK too. Particularly after Nelson took a bad delay of game penalty with 4 minutes to play. Elie and Leier were consistently good the entire game. Leier is one tough hombre and a welcome addition, replacing the ineffective Justin Bailey. Tennyson saved a goal by batting a sure goal out of mid-air. Props when earned.

What was not so good? Asplund and O'Regan were lost at sea. Asplund looked silly on his SO attempt. O'Regan was just plain ineffective the entire game. Missed a clean breakaway in OT, couldn't win important faceoffs, and lost control of the puck several times. He hasn't scored a goal in many games. Wonder whats wrong with him?
Nelson was also not strong. Since returning to play, he hasn't added much. Hickey's ill advised pinch led to the 3rd period tying goal. He didn't play much after that.
Olofsson....why doesn't he use his move that has worked 3 times so far in the shootout? The other 4 times he tries to just blast the puck and has failed all 4 times.

Amerks get that elusive 30th win. They have 15 on the road and 15 at home. With Belleville hard charging and Toronto winning, this division is not going to be a walk in the park down the stretch.
Now they have to finish the week with a win over the Devils tomorrow afternoon.

I could watch Leier's shootout goal all night long. It was HUGE.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: Amerks Regain 1st (sort of) With Shootout Win

Post by keithLGA » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:03 pm

Leier and Elie are big additions to the team.

I'll give Nelson a slight pass on that delay of game, he was tied up with a Crunch player. Yes, he needs to control what he does with his stick but it wasn't as blatant as so many others we've seen. What isn't acceptable is him acting like a traffic cone on that Crunch first goal. He just stood there doing nothing.

O'Regan hasn't scored in 9 games but has 5 assists. Olofsson has been scoring. Flip things and O'Regan seemed to score when Olofsson wasn't. That whole line can be baffling at times. They've made it this far, let them keep going. Can't be perfect every night.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:29 pm

Baffling for sure. Tonite was just particularly bad for O'Regan. He just couldn't get much of anything right. And Asplund is Bailey-lite. He doesn't score and he doesn't get many helpers. On the list of disappointments (after 9 of the first 10 slots are named 'Nylander') you'll find Asplund.

So far you have to be impressed with Elie and Leier. Both are 'involved' every shift. Wilson hasn't caught anyone's attention. Nor has Nelson...except in a negative way. Veilleux has also made the most of his playing time lately. On many nights, our 4th line is our best.

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:39 am

Danny O'Regan is my favorite Amerk. Never takes a shift off, hustles all the time. He can be a very streaky scorer and that's probably why he's still here. At the end of the season he's at or over 20 goals and you wonder how he got there!! I'd take 1 O'Regan over 10 #92's any day.
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:13 am

Well Lou--thats faint praise for Danny....comparing him to 10 #92's!! I like him too...but have noticed lately that he is definitely pressing and last night was maybe one of his worst games overall. It happens. But with Smith gone, we need his scoring and in the last 9 games (thats a lot), he's zero. I saw Redmond go into a similar scoring funk after his quick start and he battled out of it. I hope the same for O'Regan.

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:48 am

I think I got that backwards!! Its 10 Dannys to NO #92's! :-)

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:57 am

good correction! Seriously, perhaps saying 'cancer in the locker room' may be a bit over the top, but I think Nylander is close to being one. The kid has an odd view of his talent. If you want to make the big club...you have to EARN it and what has he really done down here to make the Sabres even blink? (well Brayton loves him but I don't know about anyone else) He needs to be traded before he loses ANY value. I don't want to see him on our team anymore. He is a zero impact player.

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:10 pm

"well Brayton loves him but I don't know about anyone else"

Braydon has a man crush on him. Also the entire Buffalo population of fans think he's the next "coming" just because of his name and his draft rank. They haven't had to put up with him for 2 1/2 years. Trust me, if we was performing like this in Buffalo, the Twitter lines would be calling for his head.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:03 pm

If the Sabres make any moves next week, I hope it isn't a bunch of players for a 2nd round draft pick in 2023 or a 3rd rounder in 2 years. It needs to be a hockey trade, if anything. Nylander needs to go. I wonder what the conversations have been between Buffalo and here regarding his feelings about being here? If Sabres did recall him, it would send a terrible message to the rest of the team....OR maybe it would be good riddance....we won't ever really know.

there is probably some team out there who would take a chance on a kid this young. But he isn't going anywhere here.

I wonder if this will be a 'Bob Corkum' year for the Sabres at trade deadline!! :lol:

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:16 am

The Sabres just lost 3 in a row to some not very good hockey teams. They are a complete dumpster fire right now and the fans are going to start getting pissed as the season winds down, don't be shocked when we lose a bunch of players the last month(or more) of the season for the org to start "selling hope" for next year.

Just remember "the Amerks will be fine when we give their players back for the playoffs".

I want to be positive about our first place team, but we've just seen this play out too many times to have any real hope for the outcome to be different in the playoffs.