Another Weekend Showdown

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Another Weekend Showdown

Post by insagt1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:08 pm

OK--back to local hockey! Amerks and Crunch with a crucial home and home this weekend. Last one just a couple weeks ago resulted in a split...but the Crunch picked up the extra point for losing in the shootout.

Fast forward to the beginning of March...these two games are that much more meaningful as the schedule is fast running out and the two teams are still pretty much in a dead heat. So far Amerks have picked up points in 6 of the 7 games against Syracuse...the only regulation loss being that tough 1-0 game at the BCA. This means that the Amerks are competitive against this very talented team. At the moment, they are pretty strong roster-wise.

If the Crunch win tonite they will once again tie the Amerks with one game in hand. So if the two teams split the weekend, the Crunch will remain in first place because of playing one fewer games. that GIH wlll be made up on the 6th. We have to hope that Wedgewood remains with us. I love that we have Redmond and Pilut paired up again and that Olofsson seems to be back on his game again. Also I still like the idea of having Elie, Leier and Oglevie together on a high energy line. Elie has been a real treat to watch.

There is no reason why we can't win both games. I'm sure Syracuse feels exactly the same. They don't meet again until the next back to back April 5th and 6th. The hockey is getting real intense now, which is fine and how it should be.

I'd love to see big crowds down the stretch....for our final 9 home games.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: Another Weekend Showdown

Post by keithLGA » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:56 pm

Should be the same lineup this weekend that we had on Wednesday night. Everyone knows what's on the line. It's the new biggest weekend of the season.

Eddie Pasquale played tonight for Syracuse (4-0 win over the Phantoms) so that means Martin Ouellette (who?) will likely be in net at least one game. Not sure why Connor Ingram was scratched.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:57 pm

Well to no ones surprise, Crunch win easily to regain 1st again....tied with Amerks but with the game in hand. The next two games are HUGE!

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:48 pm

Nice shorty by Leier...he and Elie have been great additions to this team. They are playoff-type players IMO.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:54 pm

Game was too close for a few minutes in the 3rd period when it was a 3-2 game but the Amerks stepped on the gas pedal and took control. Overall a great game. Only thing to nitpick would be too many penalties but the refs decided to make it one of those games for both teams.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:59 pm

Amerks are by no means a perfect team...but I have to think that when totally healthy, this is the strongest team we've had here since the strike year. And its not even close IMO. Even with men out injured, we have had the depth to win pretty consistently. If they can play together throughout March I believe this team CAN be a playoff threat.

Today's game is crucial...and I think a bigger test comes when we play two against Charlotte...clearly the top team in the AHL. We remember what they did to us opening weekend. Lots has changed (for us anyway) since then. I can't wait to see how we measure up now.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:52 pm

Penalties crushed them today. Syracuse seemed to have that in their game plan vs playing hockey and it worked.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:14 pm

Missed the game due to my daughters orchestra concert at GCC. But it looks like our PK was not good enough and our PP was terrible. And that was the game...correct?
What I didn't like this weekend was way too many penalties which killed game flow...and Crunch scored 5 PP goals. Memo to the Anerks....this can't happen in the playoffs.

Anyone surprised that Wilcox didn't start today? Although Wedge was OK. Last 4 matchups between these two teams....road team won them all. So instead of going 4 up on them...we once again fall into a tie for 1st and they own the GIH. Actually the home team hasn't done well period in these first 9 games. (winning only 3)

Taylor was clearly agitated with the post game questions. Guess we can't unpack the Calder Cup yet!!

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:12 am

insagt1 wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:14 pm
But it looks like our PK was not good enough and our PP was terrible. And that was the game...correct?
Yea, that's basically the game. I stand by my thought process that the Crunch knew the officiating would be bad again for a second night and played just a tad smarter.

Was surprised when Wilcox didn't start. Syracuse went with an ECHL guy playing in his 3rd AHL game and won. Maybe Wilcox wouldn't have been a bad idea, he does have a winning record against Syracuse.

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:05 am

I don't blame Wedgewood at all for the loss.

The Amerks did not play smart, but one of the biggest reasons was that they stayed away from the "dirty" areas in front of the net all night long. Ouelette saw every single shot and that made it easy for him. We made him look like Georges Vezina.

Our favorite whipping boy finally realized that his goal of getting out of here will never be realized unless he puts some effort out. Last night, for the most part, he tried to skate hard on his shifts and was free for some offensive chances. I even saw a back check (with the stick) at least once. He even scored a goal against an ECHL goalie and the goalie didn't have his stick. Other than that he was the same, stick checking all night long and being a turnover machine. I really think he thought he was going up and when it didn't happen, it was a huge "shock" to him. Now with only 4 call-ups, the Sabres will probably not use any to get "looks' at players. That is, unless they are mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber