Another Weekend Showdown

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
UncleBenny

Re: Another Weekend Showdown

Post by UncleBenny » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:25 am

keithLGA wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:52 pm
Penalties crushed them today. Syracuse seemed to have that in their game plan vs playing hockey and it worked.

Almost every game against Syracuse is like that, and we let them do it to us most nights. You can't have someone slash your goalie, take a dumb penalty "defending" him, and then immediately get scored on on the ensuing PP and expect to beat a good team like Syracuse. They have played like this for years. I and I'm sure many others absolutely hate the way they play, but it obviously works.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:27 am

Let them get away with things like that and the argument could be that we let them walk all over us. Also possible the goalie gets pissed his team isn't standing up for him. A fun cycle.

RWB

Post by RWB » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:48 am

Last nights game was frustrating for a lot of reason. Yeah, the officiating was terrible, but I’m sorry, Chris Taylor has some explaining to do. I’m tired of his refusal to shorten his bench. Is he dumb? Stubborn? You’re down 2 goals in the 3rd, Dalton Smith and Yannick Veilleux’s line needs to be taken out of rotation. Period. They’re not a threat to score. The fact that he was still rolling 4 lines with 5 or 6 minutes to go is just poor coaching.

And the cherry on top was Andrew MacWilliam on the ice with 1 minute to go with the goalie pulled. I couldn’t even believe my eyes.

The team has no chance of going anywhere in the playoffs and it starts at the top with the coach.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:13 pm

keithLGA wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:27 am
Let them get away with things like that and the argument could be that we let them walk all over us. Also possible the goalie gets pissed his team isn't standing up for him. A fun cycle.
At the very least, we should be in their crease after every whistle just like they are and rattle their goalie. Also need to be smarter with the retaliation, there's a fine line between sticking up for your goalie and taking a penalty that hurts the team.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:12 pm

Its true that when you need goals, you aren't going to get them from Dalton or Yannick. In fact you might even get another ill-timed penalty from Smith.
But--Crunch were the better team Sunday as we were the better team Saturday. The home fans have not been happy this season in games between the two teams.

Gluey

Post by Gluey » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:37 pm

I was angered because the Crunch had 3 games to our 2 for the weekend and we were terrible Sunday.

BTW: I know this won't go over well but Coach Groulx might be a good fit in Ottawa?

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:18 pm

French speaking, has a good resume up that way, sounds like a good fit for them!

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:56 am

Ottawa is right across the bridge from where he coached in juniors.
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:32 am

correct...he coached in 'Ull....which is now officially Gatineau (for some reason)

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:38 am

I believe this will be the 6th (maybe 5th) time the Crunch will try to break a first place tie with us tonite. So far, everytime they have tied us, they have been unable to take the lead. They make up their game in hand tonite.
You always feel a lot less confident after a bad game...which Sunday was. Amerks cannot take their foot off the gas. Its not just 1st place...its a playoff spot. 5 teams still very much in it for 4 spots. No guarantees. A losing streak and you're on the outside.

Anything less than 4 points this weekend will not be good at all. Its tiring to keep bringing up the same stuff....but the guys MUST stay out of the penalty box. Their PK was very good for a stretch...but not so good lately. You can't keep giving up 7 and 8 PP chances every night and get away with it...especially when you are going 0-5 on your own PP.

We do have a few guys who tend to get careless when they are trying to be aggressive. That has to stop.