Slow Summer Here

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Slow Summer Here

Post by insagt1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:35 am

Ah, the boards have been very quiet this month. I guess everyone is waiting for the hockey season to boot up again. Have to admit, I haven't been real interested in the hockey world this summer. Maybe by September once the frustrating Red Wings are put to bed. (I had such high hopes for them this year...but their pitching staff has been the worst collection of misfits and incompetents ever assembled in Rochester)

I keep wondering what Pegulas will do next. They have alienated a great deal of the city with their greed this summer.And I doubt we've seen the last of this nonsense.

As for the Amerks, my only real concern going forward is goaltending Last year it was unacceptable. Exchanging Hammond for Wedgewood may well be yielding the same results. Hammond 'was' good for a short time. The injured kid needs to come back and shine, sooner than later. Amerks earned 99 points last season. In years past, that would have energized the fanbase and had us talking in glowing terms about how good they were. But the incredible playoff failure, again, simply negated it all IMO. Plus, they played extremely poorly at home...so last year really didn't feel like a great season, no matter how it will be spun by the Sabres/Amerks brass.

This coming season about 45% of their home games will be poorly attended, and that won't help either. Guess we'll have to just wait and see how it all unfolds.

Thoughts?

keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: Slow Summer Here

Post by keithLGA » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:52 pm

Thoughts.. can we just fast forward to April? We could be #1 in the league all season but until the team gets out of the first round I've talked to enough people to know we'll all have our doubts.

Bluey

Post by Bluey » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:33 am

The interest in the Amerks here is about the same as the D&C right now! :-)
Knowledge is good- Emil Faber

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:32 am

Keith--yes indeed. Right now playoff success really is all that matters. We've had none for so long we have to wonder if it will ever happen. Taylor didn't have the team ready last year and a lot will fall on him to get the Amerks un-stuck when post season arrives.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:44 am

keithLGA wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:52 pm
Thoughts.. can we just fast forward to April? We could be #1 in the league all season but until the team gets out of the first round I've talked to enough people to know we'll all have our doubts.
This. As exciting as it might be to be inching closer to the start of the season, none of it will matter again if we bomb in the playoffs. Unless we are completely dominant team all season, we'll all have our doubts. And even if we were that good, if Buffalo is still struggling, we'll all just be sitting here waiting until the February/March call ups to potentially destroy team chemistry again. Unfortunately for us, it likely doesn't matter how good the Amerks are if the Sabres can't figure it out.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:35 pm

If we were to take a poll right now....are Amerks fans happy with the Sabres as our parent team....if yes, why and if no why not...I wonder how it would go? there are certainly a lot of factors to consider.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Post by keithLGA » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:00 am

insagt1 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:35 pm
If we were to take a poll right now....are Amerks fans happy with the Sabres as our parent team....if yes, why and if no why not...I wonder how it would go? there are certainly a lot of factors to consider.
Interesting question. I'll throw it out on Twitter and Facebook this week and see what the replies say!

My answer - a simple yes. Botts and Sexton understand the importance of a winning team. I don't necessarily blame them for our lack of playoff performance. They're part of the newer era of management that puts a focus on development through winning.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:20 am

I fear your poll would be tainted by Sabres fans following you for prospect news, of course they are happy about the current setup. The Amerks are "great" every season and the Sabres are going to the playoffs "next year".

I would say no, I am not happy with them yet. While I do think they have put slightly more importance on building a winning team, they still haven't accomplished anything. They haven't even been able to win a playoff series, that is an absolute failure to me. It's also telling that it seems like the past couple seasons, when every other contender seems to start gearing up for the playoffs, the Amerks start falling apart. Why? This needs to be addressed.

Do I think the current management is better than that of years past? Yes, but it's still not enough, yet.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:59 pm

I agree with the above. Too much playoff failure. Win a couple series and ask me again.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:03 pm

keithLGA wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:00 am
insagt1 wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:35 pm
Interesting question. I'll throw it out on Twitter and Facebook this week and see what the replies say!

My answer - a simple yes. Botts and Sexton understand the importance of a winning team. I don't necessarily blame them for our lack of playoff performance. They're part of the newer era of management that puts a focus on development through winning.
I'll be very interested in the responses....even from the diehard, development loving Sabres fans. I want to hear what they have to say.
My thoughts would be, I hated Florida because they were completely irrelevant here and attendance plummeted. the media TOTALLY ignored us. Getting the Sabres back we thought would give us quite a lift...and get us back in the good graces of our dwindling fanbase. Should have been a huge win. Instead, the honeymoon was brief. While the media started to recognize us, and the team had a couple of decent seasons....the playoffs have been a total disaster and Sabres still raid us at the worst times even though they have no shot at postseason. I am not a Sabres fan and I have lost more and more respect for Pegula's, who clearly don't give a crap about Rochester.