Trotz Not Returning to Caps

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

Trotz Not Returning to Caps

Post by insagt1 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:34 pm

although not unexpected, I am disappointed that he isn't going to be back to try for a second kick at the can. Guess the snub he got at the beginning of the season finally got to him at the end of the day. hard to believe he can get a better gig right now, but its his choice.

UncleBenny

Re: Trotz Not Returning to Caps

Post by UncleBenny » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Maybe won't find a better team to coach, but it sounds like he can go get more money elsewhere, so I don't really blame him if they Caps aren't willing to pay the guy that finally got them a Cup.

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:48 pm

My guess would be he will be coaching the NY Islanders

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:58 pm

Ted,

This is what really happened with Trotz

Barry Trotz has resigned as head coach of the Washington Capitals.

Trotz had a two-year contract extension that kicked in when the Caps won the Cup. However, his new contract was considered under market value and he opted to renegotiate and they were unable to come to new terms.

Trotz does not have another coaching gig lined up and will take his time evaluating his options.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:21 pm

under market...so at the end of the day its still all about the money? The 'team loyalty' goes only as far as the checkbook. Hard to imagine that even under market. he wasn;t going to be well compensated and in a city, with a group of guys that respect him, he would still want to go anywhere else.
There has to be more to the story...and I think it goes back to the regular season. If he really wanted to stay, they would have come to terms.

Dubblenikle

Post by Dubblenikle » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:39 am

The odds of repeating are pretty slim. You have to have a dominate team like the Pens, Hawks & Kings were for the past 8 years. The Caps were hot, but I don't see them as a strong candidate to repeat. He got his ring, drank his 22 year old Champagne and now wants the cash. Typical of todays league. Player or coach.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:37 pm

thats all pretty accurate. Perhaps Barry's agent screwed the pooch when negotiating the 2 year extension. When you win it all, you certainly should expect more than a $300K raise...in todays market. I can't see him coaching the Isles...but you never know.

hager

Post by hager » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:08 pm

yeah he should coach for free. smh

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:18 pm

At the end of the day it's easy for us outside the business to forget that it's a job. If I didn't like the environment I was working in or the people calling the shots, I'm certainly not going to stay somewhere and get underpaid just because I won some thing. He could like the people he worked with and the players just fine, if management sucked then none of that matters. Also if he knew he'd be getting let go if he didn't win the Cup(just saying, maybe he had a feeling), then why should he be expected to have any loyalty to the organization? Sometimes you just have to move on.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:46 pm

In hindsight, it looks like maybe he coached this year to "I'll just show them'.
And he did. And he bid adieu.