2019 Red Wings...A Complete Disaster

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

2019 Red Wings...A Complete Disaster

Post by insagt1 » Sat May 18, 2019 8:37 pm

Some of us here are Wings fans. they may be losing one real soon. This year's edition is one of the most pathetic excuses for a AAA team I've seen this side of Tom Nieto. Already 10 under .500, they can't field, hit or pitch. In order of the worst....it would be pitching. A total mess. Starters are maybe D+--middle relief a bit worse and late relief is F--. They can't hold any lead. The 'd' is shaky. The hitters occasionally get it done, but the pitchers usually nullify anything they accomplish. Lately, knowing that no matter how many runs they score, they will lose, they have begun to strike out with reckless abandon. K after K after K.
I mean, who many teams can score 18 runs and still lose?

I'm not sure what Stu Cliburn is doing with the pitching staff. I have even less idea what the manager is doing, or whether any of this matters to him. Mr Invisible.

Lot of position players are injured. Doesn't matter. Tonite's loss, after blowing a 3-0 lead happened when the reliever Romero came in and walked in the game winning run. Kind of fitting. Wings lose in many different ways...but one thing they do consistently is.....lose.
They wear colorful unis, they have tons of promos, they offer a wide variety of food...but they play terrible baseball. If we are to believe both Dan Mason and Bob Matthews....terrible baseball really doesn't matter anymore. Fans don't care.

I care. This team is pathetic. Season pretty much over already.

Dubblenikle

Re: 2019 Red Wings...A Complete Disaster

Post by Dubblenikle » Mon May 20, 2019 3:41 pm

Time to move on from Minny next time around. Never happens with them. We are rarely in the playoffs and have zero titles since they arrived what, 16 years ago? We signed an extension fo5r this season and next, I believe. If this season blows and we don't win a title next year, lets move on.

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Mon May 20, 2019 5:25 pm

You might want to move on from Minnesota, but be careful what you wish for.

My Bisons left a terrible situation with the Mets. Then ended up in a worse situation with the Blue Jays.

And the Syracuse Mets are first in the IL North.

:roll:

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:11 pm

problem with leaving the Twins is that there aren't many alternatives. And what few there were last re-up were all teams that would not have been a good fit here.
Its true we haven't accomplished much except playing bridesmaids to Lehigh and Scranton in recent years, but Twins are on the rise and maybe we can grab on to their coattails.

This is a broken record, but first thing I'd do (and I'd do it tomorrow if it were possible) is get new leadership. this manager is never going to make the Wings a better team. And Stu Cliburn doesn't seem to be doing much with the pitching staff.

moeron15

Post by moeron15 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:54 am

There are so many good players in the pipeline too. The teams in Cedar Rapids, Fort Myers, and Chattanooga/Pensacola have been excellent for a while now. I'm not sure why the teams that "graduate" from the lower levels don't translate their success in AAA. Only thing I can think of is that they aren't graduating as a whole or mostly whole class. The Twins seem to have their best prospects skip a full year in AAA for some reason. A good example is Tommy Watkins. He was doing really well managing in Chattanooga (and Cedar Rapids before that) but now he's a Twins coach rather than the Wings manager. I spoke with Brian Dinkelman on Friday night (he is managing Cedar Rapids now) and told him I wished he would get back to Rochester soon!

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Tue May 21, 2019 2:40 pm

Indeed...clearly Watkins would have made a great manager choice here. Besides continuing to learn, he was immensely popular here and would have been an asset to team and community. I think the Twins goofed up that one. but OTOH Watkins is making major league money so props to him. skinner OTOH is doing squat here for both team and community. (of course how would we know if he WAS actually getting out and about....since nobody covers this team anymore)

We had a couple of real good teams under Quade...and they got jobbed by the stupid I.L. playoff rules. Not that the Governor's Cup is the big prize it used to be...still making post season is always a good thing and the fans still respond to it.

this year's team isn't a 'team' at all. With a pitching staff like ours, its hard to get up for games every night, knowing it might take 10 runs to win (oops maybe it might take 21!!!)

Dubblenikle

Post by Dubblenikle » Wed May 22, 2019 9:08 am

The twins have had top rated prospect pipelines for years. They have had a couple runs at the playoffs and had good teams. All while being affiliated here. What do we have to show for it? The last 20 years have probably been among the best in twins history. Aside form the two WS titles in 87 and 91. They were total $hi* in the 90's. they improved greatly in the 2000's. they had a slip a few years ago, but have recovered. They have been a decent franchise at the MLB level for 15 of the last 20 years I would say. Its never panned out here. Even this year. they are a top 3 MLB team and we suck. You can probably name most of the guys that came through here and had a major impact in the bigs. They skipped Sano over us until he struggled. We saw Buxton for a bit but only because he wasn't meeting expectation. Gordon is the next guy like him. Good, but maybe not as good as hyped. We had Morneau for a half a year. Kubel, Cuddyer, Lew Ford, Garrett Jones and a handful of pitches that were decent at the MLB level. this isn't hockey. top picks rarely go to the MLB right away. Most run the full minor gamut before hitting the bigs. They must not pick the fill in players very well. We end up the dumping grounds for Kennys Vargas and the like. For an org that has a top end pipeline for most of the last 16 years we have seen very little success.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:25 am

its embarrassing that at every level in the organization, but here, has there been success this year. Do Twins not care that much about AAA and rather focus mostly on Single A and AA? Are we actually only a dumping ground?

Not always. We have had some decent teams, but again because of the crazy way the IL has teams qualifying for post season. often the top 4 teams aren't the teams that make the playoffs. Managers and talent seem to go hand in hand with the Twins. When we had good managers, we were competitive for the most part...or at least entertaining. When our managers were awful, the team followed suit. We had that with Nieto and we have had that with Skinner so far. This year's team is marching backwards...and its a fast march. They are showing zero promise to be anything more than a bottom feeder.

Because I actually still go to watch good baseball, I will go to fewer games this year...even while sharing season tickets with a couple colleagues. The occasional nice summer evening with friends is still a nice way to enjoy being at the park...but going because the home team is exciting doesn't exist...and because this is a business, our management team recognizes that the games themselves won't bring people out....sadly. So we get the gimmicks...the endless parade of different jerseys...the food, the fireworks, and the various promos. Crowds will increase by the end of June and the occasional throng of 10,000 will be realized. We will still finish in the bottom 3rd of the league in attendance.

As for the product on the field....its just plain awful.

bmb2jn

Post by bmb2jn » Wed May 22, 2019 1:02 pm

I would like to see AAA & AA merge. I think there's too many levels in Minor League Baseball.

Also the stupid IL Playoff rules are a huge reason why fans care more about promotions then ending Playoff and Championship droughts.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:25 pm

I agree with the above. the biggest difference between AA and AAA is pitching. By the time you get to AAA, you have to able to deal with the breaking stuff. A lot of pitchers in AA are still just flinging fastballs..while learning how to mix in the change-ups.