D&C Editor Responds

Amerks, AHL, Sabres, Hockey, Red Wings, Knighthawks, Bills, etc..
insagt1

D&C Editor Responds

Post by insagt1 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:06 pm

...and as expected he said nothing new. He tried to convince us of his undying love for Amerks and Wings. Then he made it clear that he is totally dug in that 'no one cares about reading anything concerning our local teams. that the websites he quoted were more than adequate to get our fixes. (they are not) How obvious are they to the average fan who picks up the paper.
High school sports are god now according to him. Local readers are ready to erect a statue of him for all the coverage. I'm not suggesting its wrong to cover HS sports. But unless the media devotes some resources to our teams, there will be no growth in the fanbases.

The Red Wings probably don't care because they'd rather promote special nights, and special unis and food. the game, by Dan Mason's own words is no longer why people come to the park. Its merely a summer love-fest and the game is a sideshow.
Amerks OTOH have a bigger problem. they don't have any of the above. The tradition of the 'crest' is long gone. Ask any kid whose face is buried in his phone who the Hershey Bears are, and you'll get blank stares. Our 'hockey' tradition is on life support and when a few of us old timers move on, it will be gone. Pegula certainly is doing nothing to promote our legacy. Those who feel he ultimately would want to move us to Buffalo are probably more right now then ever before.

You can never get honest answers from politicians and CEO's..but it would be real interesting to know where the D&C goes to get their data. Who is being asked and who isn't being considered.

Anyway, nothing will change. Coverage of our teams will never return. And with that demise will eventually come the demise of our teams.

keithLGA
Site Admin

Re: D&C Editor Responds

Post by keithLGA » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:21 pm

It was clear based on the way he replied to my email. It's sad. He's basically saying news isn't important, enjoy the forced narrative from the teams. From what I've gathered they base things off of views of what they have written. Sad. He knows this site exists, links have been shared, he's met Eric, I've chatted over email. Could've shared a link but nope, couldn't be bothered. The Buffalo News has linked to the site here. WGR has. Many other places have as well. The D&C? Nope.

Sad day for the newspaper.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:23 am

I know you have tried real hard. Its appreciated. But its like trying to stop a freight train with a paper straw now. Apparently right here is where we will continue to try and stay up to date and interested in more than just fireworks, hotdogs and loud music. I do often wonder who the Amerks fans will be 10 years from now....assuming we still have a team here.

oldtimehockey

Post by oldtimehockey » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:29 am

It's sad. There was a time we had TWO papers covering the Amerks. The D&C and the Times Union. We've had great coverage in the past with Kevin O. and Hans Tanner. Now, we have squat. Thank goodness we have this web site. It's appreciated. And, I'll never pay a penny for a D&C paper as long as I still breathe.

insagt1

Post by insagt1 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:56 am

Its self fulfilling. The editor creates his own scenario and then runs with it. Pretty clear, he doesn't WANT to cover our teams. If he wanted to, there would be outlets willing to help out. He covets high school and Bills because in his sphere, thats where he is getting positive feedback. But the fact that he had to devote a whole column to this issue means there really are people out there who care. He just doesn't want to deal with it.
The Wings may not need it as much, but the Amerks definitely do.

amerks23

Post by amerks23 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:52 am

I had lunch with Keith and a bunch of other Amerks fans on Saturday. I told Keith if it wasn't for him and Kevin O we wouldn't get any information on the Amerks.

Every time one of the Bills or Sabres farts is in the paper though. When training camp starts that's all you gonna hear from the local media. When that crap is on TV, I change the channel. All the Sabres and Bills fans will get all excited and they will suck like they both always do.
They spent their own dough to get here, and they came here to see us! All right, let's show 'em what we got, guys! Get out there on the ice and let 'em know you're there.

UncleBenny

Post by UncleBenny » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:28 am

That was infuriating to read. "I follow the Bills so that's why we cover the Bills". As was stated above, I will never spend a cent on the D&C.

schlag

Post by schlag » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:27 pm

Next outrage is they are not offering deluxe buggy whips at the store or you can't buy a ticket on your favorite steam ship.

hockey13

Post by hockey13 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:29 pm

schlag wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:27 pm
Next outrage is they are not offering deluxe buggy whips at the store or you can't buy a ticket on your favorite steam ship.
:lol: :lol:

Dubblenikle

Post by Dubblenikle » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:48 pm

Sal was commenting to some guy that people pay for Netflix and Hulu but won't pay for a D&C subscription. Papers are dying. They are trying to charge for what others are providing free. I can go to wham or 1280 or any of the local TV stations and get the same story for free. I won't pay for the D&C, I won't pay for the BN as Harrington wants and I won't pay for the Athletic. I think the lesson these people are learning is that he casual fan vastly outnumbers the die hards. I responded to Sal that the Netflix thing was a false equivalency. He's not asking me to pay for the entertainment. He's asking me to subscribe to his analysis of the entertainment I watched. I subscribed to HBO because I wanted to watch Game of Thrones. I'm not going to now pay for an additional service to hear someone's opinion on game of thrones. Turn on One Bills Live and they will choke you to death with everything down to the laundry schedule for the jock straps each week. Carl Faulk will beat the dead horse to a powder on the radio for free the 5 days after the game. The decision makers at the paper must have been at Kodak in the 80's. Its comical.
Last edited by Dubblenikle on Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.